Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hooray for Hummus!

One thing I get asked a lot, particularly from my carnivorous friends and family, is how I find the time to cook the things I cook.

This question always kind of leaves me without an answer. I guess, like most things, we make time for the things that are important to us. For me, it's cooking, creating, and avoiding highly processed foods. There's a kind of satisfaction to be found in watching all these yummy ingredients come together, don't you think? And it seems to me that cooking from scratch really doesn't take any time at all, certainly about as long as it would take for pizza delivery or to heat up a frozen lasagna. All in all, I would say I never spend more than about 40 minutes making dinner. Less time than it takes to watch Grey's Anatomy :)

So today: hummus! I almost feel silly posting such a simple recipe, because most people I know make their own hummus as well. But maybe someone will find it useful?

This is my basic recipe. From here you can get all kinds of crazy, trying different ingredients like roasted bell peppers, spices or herbs...the sky's the limit!

A note on tahini--I didn't always use it in my recipe, so if you don't have it, don't worry about it. Just add a little extra olive oil for texture.

1 cup garbanzo beans (canned or sprouted)
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp tahini
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
2 cloves of garlic (more if you like it SPICY!)
a big bunch of parsley or cilantro
2 tbsp. lemon juice

Mix it all up in the food processor. You can adjust liquid to make it more creamy or more chunky. Enjoy on crackers, with veggies, your favorite sammie or, my husband's favorite: on rice cakes (and usually for breakfast).




No comments:

Post a Comment